Friday, February 4, 2011

Learn to Like Things.


Fresh Fruits are best.

I have always loved them. Strawberries are in season here. They are delicious but have a very short shelf life. But in addition to tropical fruits and vegetables, I have learned to like many other things here. One of the recent ones I have found in China is: Wonton Soup.


These fresh strawberries were at the open market today...

Jay discovered this wonderful wanton soup at a hole in the wall, little, lunch place, and I am standing in the photo below with a lady who begs for a living and instead of giving her money I bought her some soup instead. I had some and she loved it too. It costs only $3. RMB per bowl...less than .50 cents American. We try to do this now with beggars. It is really quite fun and a new twist for them.

I would throw this picture away because it really isn't that flattering of me, but when I gave three of those people wanton soup who were also begging and then she asked me if I believed in God? Of course we can say yes to that without getting in trouble, but then she told me that is the reason I have a good heart. Of course I had to say yes, that is probably true.

These are the bowls they are filling with soup. It is either 3 RMB or 6 RMB depending upon the size and number of wantons. The 3. bowl is really more than enough, but I love this stuff, so I like to get the big 6. RMB one. This is where we eat. Of course we are the only foreigners here so they really watch us try to consume their food with chopsticks and giant spoons...


This day was really cold, but the soup was really hot. This is the little lady asking us for money.
Here they are preparing the freshly made pork wontons to put in the hot soup/water.

Now we have found another place to eat some interesting and new things many of which I have really learned to love. Another place is in the new shopping center across from our apartment/campus. It is a new Thai restaurant called "RAIN". I love their coconut soup. But at this place, we quickly discovered that they have great spring rolls, but best of all they have lettuce wraps. This wonderful lady sitting with us -- is Gwen Bardsley, from Provo, who is eating out with us. She also teaches English here in Jinan. She is doing very well and she is clearly happy here. Look at the food! It was so delicious...and now she knows it too.

Below, this is Jay and Dana. Gwen is taking the picture this time. It is great to find more and more Chinese food that we can eat quite cheaply and enjoy while we finish our last 6 months here. We are scheduled to return to Provo at the end of June, 2011. See you all soon. Please comment on this post to see if anyone is reading it. Who are you out there?

Is anyone listening?

10 comments:

Sarah said...

This post made me hungry and proud to know you and your good heart.

Marianne Thelin said...

Yes, we are here...we look at your pictures and read your adventures! Sorry we don't chime in more often! June is right around the corner, hopefully you'll make a swing this way again and we can have another mini reunion! You guys are adventuresome and awesome, can't think of anyone better to plan seeds of the love of God among his children in China! Enjoy the journey....obvioulsy you are! we love you, marianne & dennis

beverly said...

I loved the food blog too I love Wonton Soup and Lettuice wraps too. Glad you foound some new places to enjoy the chinese food. We are reading about your adventures often too. Rob and Deanne are going to be Grandparents in Aug. Love you

AnneB said...

We enjoy following your blog. We really miss the fresh fruit we had when we were in China. Good luck for the next few months.

Unknown said...

I really like reading your post, and show us what you are doing. It is fun to learn of the foods, and different things that you share with us. Thanks for sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

Oh, to eat dumplings and all the great food of China again. Believe it or not we ate at a Chinese Restuarant in Lubumbashi, DR Congo with the best Chinese food we have had since leaving China!! Sharon

Chuck and Nancy said...

I was surprized and happy to see Gwen. Please tell her Hello for us. We are enjoying our adventure, but I am not an adventurous eater. Love, the Hugo's

Frank and Julie said...

We liked the homeless people and that they asked if you believed in God. I bet they ate well, enjoying the Wonton Soup you shared with them!

See you in a few months.
I talked with Dennis on his birthday and he said they would plan a family barbecue when you come to Portland. We'll come down also.

Heidi said...

I'm following the Hugo's blog as my son is on a mission near them. I just looked at their favorite blogs and cannot tell you how happy it makes me to read about how you are enjoying the culture and people. Beautiful blog and thank you for sharing. Much more fun than mormon.org!

The Rob Jensen Family said...

I love reading your blog.