Monday, April 13, 2009

TIME TO PAINT THE BEDROOM


This is Barbara, one of the other English teachers here at SDU. She had to go to the hospital. She had severe Gall Bladder problem with acute pain and survived. I have been so worried about having to go to the hospital someday. There have been some scary stories from some of theEnglish teachers who have had to go to the hospital. (No, I
don't need to go to the hospital!) Anyway, she was admitted to a hospital right next to our campus. She was on the 11th floor, in a private room, with a private western toilet. Her students each came on rotation, and took time to help her, stay with her (even overnight) and bring her meals. She did really well and went home after 11 days. She didn't have Gall Bladder surgery, as they don't do that surgery here. They just stuck in a giant horse sized needle and sucked, cleaned it out and and then they wait for you to have another attack I guess. That is China.
Spring has finally come and the buildings are starting to be covered with new green ivy. It makes everything look a lot better. Spring means it is time to finish painting our apartment. On Friday after noon we went to a new paint store. This one had salespeople and a modern machine to help us choose the color and to mix the paint color. I thought I was back at Home Depot it was so cool.


This is Matt. He is studying to be Doctor. He could not see very well in my class, and he said the needed a new pair of glasses. He had broken his glasses while biking. I asked him how much a set of new glasses would cost here? He told me that it would cost 100 RMB ($14.50). I then taught him the American way -- "If you work for me, I will pay you." I gave him the money for his glasses which he bought immediately and then he came and painted inside our apartment for 3 hours the next Saturday. Jay showed him how in order for a wet coat of paint be applied. He did a really great job, and said that someday he wants to paint his own house now. In China, they don't seem to paint anything very often. If the goverment wanted their house painted, they would do it. The government paints houses I guess, not the people who live in them...probably because the houses all belong to the government.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love that your students all help you paint! It seems like you become pretty close to them.....that is great.

RIck and Ella-Rene said...

What a lovely example of service and self-reliance you are in my heart.

China is fortunate to have you back next year.