Wednesday, March 4, 2009

ENGLISH TEACHERS WANTED IN CHINA!



SPELL CHECK ANY ONE?


We need English Teachers in China. Even businesses here are in need of better English speaking employees. See the lower photos...

(This is not a Swiss Army Knife. It is a cool China Army Knife with a lot more things, quite big things, on it. I first thought I would buy one for the grand children, but I remember Raichle cutting his finger pretty bad when his Dad entrusted him with a new little pocket knife for his third birthday. These tools are more of a "Man's Toy".)




ADCERTESEMENT COMPANY.


This photo takes the ultimate prize for a clear failure to Spell Check . This is an advertising company in Sanya, China, where they made signs, letterhead paper, business cards, etc. I saw this sign and had to snap a photo. If you doubt me, run their word "Adcertesement Company" through spell check...
What do you get? Advertising Company. This is a classic because it is in the business of printing. This error surprised me and it is way beyond what I was expecting to photograph when I started taking photos of signs, messages, business printings, and direction signs in China.

I could see that the Ad Company sign was getting faded and old. But the sign was still being utilized to bring in customers. Then we walked by the day after, I looked again and they had installed a brand new sign to replace this old blue one. It is now a new, bright maroon color...but clearly the same error prevailed. Spell Check anyone?






This is a "Yield" sign in China. It is very polite in it's message to please yield everyone...Give Way.


This sign said "No Visitors". The interesting thing about it is that it was placed in a heavy traffic tourist area at the entrance to a small convenience store in Budda Mountain. I thought it was another case of not knowing or understanding the sign's meaning and so it was just left there.

This company has someone making their brand name coats and shirts with a simple spelling mistake or just a failure to use their computer spell check.



They probably mean: Kebao Motorcycle Sales Company, Ltd.


This long and wordy sign politely means: "Do Not Litter!"


Spell Check would have caught the #5. grammatical errors and "Night Show".




Perhaps "Scheme" is not the best word here for this organization. It reminds me of the City Government giving annual service awards at a large banquet we were invited to where an award and a large plaque was presented to the Director of the "City Propaganda Department". That's China. We learn more every day and we are glad to be here.





It is often we see T-shirts with a lot of attractive but disjointed words on them This is one example. What do you think is the author's intent here? Guess. Please comment.


Here is another. They love these shirts. Grammar is secondary. Spelling comes in third.



Interesting Shop Name. "I Love Here." It is okay I guess, would fly through spell check, and the shop seems to be doing a good business.


New recycling containers... One is okay. The other...red one needs to be re-cycled.


What is the message? Environmental I think. This one is home made with it's green message.

This expensive leather coat is another Classic Spelling error and worth so much more as a collectors item now than had it gone through Spell Check. I love this one!


PS: I ran this post through Spell Check. "Adcertesement" showed up and I chose not to correct it.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

That is so fun. How silly that they have no idea that they are wrong. I guess it does not matter to them.

I am sure the happy 2008 shirt meant to say

"A friend hears the song in my heart and sings it to me when I forget it."

beverly said...

I love your signs, I think Tiffany is right,as above,Also loved to hear you on video,That was cool. Love you.

SBrooks said...

Funny! The signs all posted incorrect all over must just make you giggle!

Sarah said...

So So funny....I would totally fit in there, I spell things wrong all the time even with spell check ( its a curse).

Dana Wartena Thelin said...

Sarah, send me a letter to edit and I will make it perfect and send it back to you...I am doing this type of service for many of my Chinese students these days. These are the ones who are trying to go to graduate school abroad and need reference letters and school applications done well.