Monday, September 21, 2009

English Corner



Hi it is dana again. Above are two pictures of our English Corner. This year we have two sets of English corner. I do my Freshmen from 5-7 and Jay does his Graduate students from 7 to 9 once a week. Since I haven't started classes yet we just had our first English corner with Jay's class. We were going to try and not have so many come, but many brought friends and so we ended up with about 30+.
We show them a movie of the Homestead and then we usually play some games and talk. For refreshments I make cinnamon rolls with cream cheese topping. Most of the time they like it but there are few that don't and we tell them they do not have to eat if they don't like the way it taste. This week I made about 45 rolls so we had a few that wanted seconds. That made me feel good.
We had discussions about USA and I ask one of the students what was one idea of American they had that is now different. She said, "I always thought that the USA is only made up of large cities, but after having your class I found that you have a lot of beautiful space. For most Chinese there only impression of USA is Friends, Sex's in the City, & Desperate Housewives, of course they do watch movies but they then think all of us have guns and drink a lot of alcohol. They were amazed on Sunday when Jay said he had never drank anything with alcohol in it. For men it is right of passage, and they think the only way to become successful in their jobs is to drink with the boss.

No comments: