Monday, October 20, 2008

OUR FIFTH WEEK IN CHINA

Posted by Dana Thelin.

I had made a personal goal of never using anything but a western style toilet in China. When we would go shopping there would always be Pizza Hut that was close enough to us. Even when we went on our last weekend trip I discovered a handycapped toilet stall. I was beginning to think that maybe I would be able to accomplish my goal. Then today my dream was shattered. I was 10 blocks from the apartment and had 20 minutes of class time left. Did I have a choice, NO, so I asked one of my students for help me find the WC (that is what they call it) and also some Kleenex. I had my first squat toilet experience. As I was walking home I realized those 7 summers at the Homestead in Island Park had really made my roughing it experience in China easier. The reason they like the eastern style toilets is because they think it is much more sanitized way to sit down. I tend to agree, but then they have had years to practice squatting or sitting down like that.



This our favorite fruit/cream filled pie/dessert now - It is at KFC here.

We ate these tonight with french fries - the first we have had since we arrived. They were really great. I had this same great feeling last night when Jay brought home a McDonald's double cheese burger. You forget what you miss when you don't get to have it.

Tonight we had another English Corner. It went really well
we try not to talk about politics some times it is hard but
Jay is really good at changing the subject to something that
is safe and positive. They wanted to know who we were going to vote for President. We told them we don't even discuss that with our children.

4 comments:

Jensen Family :) said...

that is crazy about the toliets!!

SBrooks said...

Wow and i thought mexico was bad with no toilet seats. Ugh - I guess the time was coming with 5 weeks there and all!

elizabehtoviatt said...

We actually saw shoe prints on the seat of a western toilet. They really do not like to sit on them.
Lamon

Tiffany said...

With only five weeks in you gave in to your potty needs? I am glad you gave it your all. You tried. Sitll you are in China, When in china do as the Chinese do huh?