Thursday, October 30, 2008

EVENING AT THE MARKET -- THURSDAY, OCTOBER 29

DUCK CHUNKS, DEEP FRIED ON A TOOTH PICK. YUM YUM.


It is 7:00 pm and we just returned from the open market. Jay is showing this really quite good deep fried duck meat. This is the first place we went when we arrived in Jinan. We arrived on Friday night and when we got up on Saturday morning we went with Shirley Davis to the open market. It was quite an experience for me and went home and I said: "Never again". Today when we went, it didn't seem very far away, in fact it was quite close, and the food didn't seem all that bad. I bought my favorite thing, dried Kiwi. Jay even bought some pork meat. I usually refuse to do it. I consider that bartering to be one of Jays projects, but today I said, "We're in China, why not?" We also bought fresh green beans, a huge cauliflower, chinese celery and some other vegetables, it came to $3. american. Now for all of you that quilt. The stuffing in the quilts is sheep wool


You select the material from the place that makes the quilts. They place the material you selected on the top and on the bottom of the center, sheep wool batting.......


Then they start to quilt. There is no quilting frame just a large table the size of the quilt they are working on.
In the end you pay 55 t0 80 yuan for your finish project, which is between $7 - 12. $70 yuan is $10. american.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like those quilts would be really warm in the winter. How far away is the open market from your apartment?

Johnny Austin said...

You guys are awesome! "Duck Chunks" really, yall rock! That's the most disgusting way to describe it I'm sure, but oddly it sounds delicous... I gotta get me some of those deep fried DUCK CHUNKS!

SBrooks said...

Wow - Daffy Duck tasted good? That is crazy! The quilts are so cool!

Anonymous said...

Dana,Myra {Mom} and I carded the wool, We used a brush like a wire brush to card the wool,our Dad sheared off the sheep .This made it soft and nice to put into our Canadian Quilts and toasty warm for the cold Canadian nights. Love the Blogs. Beverly