Sunday, October 19, 2008

FOUR WEEKS IN CHINA

First the fleas are gone. I spent a great deal of washing, cleaning, washing cleaning and changing bedding until now I know they are gone. Of course we are in China and Jay loves to give hugs to strangers so they might come back. They don't have the flea booms here in China so it will again be washing & cleaning etc. The next room to paint will be the bedroom so I hope that will help.

This week two important things happened. I was able to paint our office in our apt. Elena, one of my students who will going to Harvard next year in the Medical Doctor program, helped and we went from this room with a lots of dirt on the walls to one that is really great. I will send you a picture of the finished project later. For some reason it won't let me add pictures. I will write more when I figure it out.

I had a video on this part but I didn't do it right so I will also add it later. Next I really got into doing the PHASE curriculum with my students. They are so fun. This is my Freshmen class on Thursday afternoon. When I was walking home I thought, "This PHASE program is good." Boys and girls don't talk much to each other so I figure this is a great social opportunity. The students come to our home on Sunday night to be trained to be the leader for the next week. I wondered if it was going to work, but it does and they are amazing. You will notice that the song is off tune, that is because I taught them the song. I really am tone deaf. This program really helps them with their oral English. They can only talk English while they figure out their adjective for their English name. My graduate students started working on Building the Group and they have to do the group name and yell. Once again they really got into it. We even did the trust fall. I guess you could say I really love teaching.

1 comment:

Jensen Family :) said...

Thats so great you get to incoproprate Phase now in ChinA!!! Fun stuff love ya MOm! Tricia