Wednesday, October 22, 2008

CHINESE MCDONALDS

SCULPTURE:
Jays adds to the sculpture just outside the Shandong University Library very near where he teaches english classes...

TYPICAL YOUNG FAMILY:
Typical (3-PERSON) Chinese Family walking down the street...

CHINESE FOOD LUNCH:
Jay having a street vendor lunch...yes, authenticly cooked CHINESE FOOD. This dish had a lot of bean sprouts in it and some scrambled eggs plus about 10 other unknowns... He went out with one of his students in the foreground and it was very good cultural, learning experience to say the least as he sat on a little, tiny, folding stool and mastered the use of chopsticks.

MCDONALDS:
McDonalds in Jinan...is much different and it has different products for sale, but we were able to get a double cheeseburger and a big mac with fries and a chocolate fudge ice cream sundae. It was almosts like being home again... The advertised costs in american money would be listed correctly if you divide each amount by 7. So if it shows 28.00 Yuan, that would be approx. $4.00 american, or if it shows 14 yuan, that would be approx $2.00 american. Costs as you can see are quite low. The chicken nuggets are less than $1.00 american and many of the combo meals are less that $3.00 american. The items you see which look something like back home but are very different. For example, the chicken sandwich is never white meat as Chinese do not like white chicken meat. They like dark meat, so that is what is in these chicken sandwiches, covered with cucumbers and other chinese vegetables. They are mostly seshuan spicy hot.

NO PICTURES!
Just after I snapped this photo the manager came running out yelling, no pictures, no pictures, accosting me, and almost tackled me, but I simply replied in English that I did not know about the McDonalds Company Policy on not taking pictures inside their stores and slipped my camera back into my pocket. You would have thought that I was photographing something secret or based upon the managers obstreperous response. Maybe she just thought her place was too dirty and I was going to document the abhorent uncleanliness and send it to the Chinese FBI or something. Well, overall, it was really pretty clean in there and well maintained and more than adequately staffed...if anyone is monitoring this post.

MOTORCYCLE EGG DELIVERY:
This man carried these eggs to market strapped to his motorcycle and I told him he was really brave to do that and that I was impressed. I took his photo. We are buddies now. Oh, they sell these eggs in street markets everywhere by the kilogram here and then give them to you in a thin plastic bag to carry home.

(Click on photo for enlargement)







We are here. We like it here. We are doing fine. How is everything back home in America?

Please comment on our blog and let us know what you think..

3 comments:

elizabehtoviatt said...

I enjoy your bloggs. Keep them coming. We were told that all posts are watched when we were there. Glad you are enjoying yourseslf. We hope to go back next year.
Lamon

SBrooks said...

Those are a lot of eggs! I love Uncle Jay in the Chinese fashion picture. His smile is a giveaway for mischieveous behavior though, I see it in my boys all the time. How did you get all the gear he wore in that photo? I love your adventures! Keep em coming!

Tiffany said...

I craved McDonald's when I was in Italy. There was only one McDonald's in my Area and when I got to that City it had closed. Not much support for Micky-D's in Italy. I craved a Big mac so bad, remember when I got home that is where I wanted to go for dinner. We went and the Big mac tasted Awful compared to the great Italian food I had been eating for 18 months. I am glad you found a place to go to remind you of home. I only like white meat so me and the Chinese chicken sandwich would not go well together.